Local 500 Christmas Hours
- December 24 - closing at noon
- December 25 - closed (Christmas Day)
- December 26 - closed (Boxing Day)
- December 27 - closed
- December 31 - closing at noon
- January 1 - closed
Any BCMEA vacation days for 2013 must be booked by December 20.
Wishing you and yours a safe and merry holiday season.
Union Office Reopened
- We are happy to announce that the Union Office at 111 Victoria Drive has reopened with the staff in place ready to assist you Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. :)
Payment of Regular Fines, M&G Fines, and Initiation Fees are Due by December 5th - EXTENDED TO DECEMBER 12th
- During the restoration of our office, we were unable to accept the payment of fines and initiation fees. Persons fined by the M&G were notified that they would have 30 days after our return to the Office to make payment. This is that notification.
- If you were fined by the M&G since March 2013, you must make payment to the Office by December 12, 2013 or you will be suspended..
- Persons with outstanding fines of $30 or greater will be suspended as of December 12th as well.
- If you were sworn in as a new member in April or September and have not yet paid your Initiation Fee, please do so now.
Call for Resolutions - ILWU Canada Caucus and Convention
- Deadline to receive resolutions is January 6, 2014.
- Call for Resolutions to for the ILWU Canada Longshore Caucus - read bulletin.
- Call for Resolutions to for the ILWU Canada Convention - read bulletin.
*** Wednesday, JANUARY 15, 2014
at 6:30 pm in the MLC Auditorium ***
- Notices of Motion
The 2nd and final reading of two Notices of Motion will take place at the Membership Meeting.
Notice of Motion 1 - on By-laws Article V - Anti-Harassment Policy and Procedures
Notice of Motion 2 - on Constitution Article V, C Vacancies & Recall
2013 Local 500 Election Results
Elections were held on November 28 and 29, 2013.
To view the full results click here
Job Postings, Rotations, Training
- Applications are in the Union Office.
- These postings are ONLY open to registered Longshore workers, not the general public.
NEW JOB POSTINGS
- 2014 Training - the annual training posting is now open and will remain open until January 17, 2014.
- Apply in the Local 500 Office.
Click here to view the bulletin
Local 500 Children's Christmas Party
- Saturday, December 7, 2013, 10 am to 2 pm
- Maritime Labour Centre - 1880 Triumph Street at Victoria Drive
- Registration CLOSED on November 22, 2013.
- View the bulletin - click here.
IKEA Lockout - Click here for details
- SOLIDARITY - 50/50 Draws being held by Locals 500 and 502 to support the locked out workers.
- Contact Local 500 Longshore workers Trudie Woodard, Oscar Benavides or John Urrico to purchase the tickets (1 for $5, 3 for $10, 8 for $20, 18 for $40).
- Draw date is December 16 at each Local's Despatch Hall at 4:30 pm.
What You Should Know
- Funeral Notices: Local 500 members who recently passed away.
- Your Collective Agreement - April 1, 2010 to March 31, 2018 click here
- Statutory Holidays - make them work for you. Use the calendar link below to ensure you get paid for all the stats that you are entitled to. Use your BCMEA vacation days to help you if you need them. Yearly Statutory Holiday Calendar
- Becoming a Union Member in the near future? Past Service Pension Adjustment (PSPA)
- Do you have a Painter's rating? click here
- Do you have an Interprovincial Certified Electrician's Ticket? click here
- Trades and Apprenticeship Report January 2013 click here
- Travel Cards - Important: As of October 23, 2012 Travel Cards will no longer be renewed until further notice. Click for bulletin
- Local 500 Young Workers' Group - any Longshore workers aged 35 and under are encouraged to participate in the Group. Contact the office.
- The Duty to Accomodate - what you should know.
- Despatch Hall Rules - reminder
- Working While Under Suspension It'll cost you - click here.
Declaration of Availability
I.V.R. Telephone System
For the Day Despatch (6:45)
For the Night Despatch (15:00)
For the Graveyard Despatch (16:00)
For the 05:45 Despatch (17:45)
To Contact ILWU Despatch Coordinator: (604) 216-0356
Union Dues Receipts
- Anyone who paid dues/despatch fees in 2012 may come to the Office to pick their receipt up.
- This includes all Union Members and Casuals on the A, B, and C Boards as well as any low board casuals who were on the Regular Work Force (RWF).
Health & Welfare, Pension and WCB Information
- Great West Life covers prescriptions as of January 1.
- Pacific Blue Cross no longer covers prescriptions for Longshore workers or retirees.
- Read the following letter to understand what you'll need to change at your pharmacy. click here
- Dental is still administered by Employee Services (not Great West Life) 604-689-7184.
- When you visit your dentist, their office will provide you with a completed Standard Dental Claim Form.
- When they ask for your Employee ID number give them your work #.
WEEKLY INDEMNITY INFORMATION
- Read up on benefit amount, waiting period, benefit period, etc., and how LTD works.
- Click for bulletin
HEALTH & WELFARE, AND PENSION BENEFIT INFO NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE
- Active and retired Members can access information, and download forms, in respect to their Health & Benefit Plan and Industry Pension Plan Dental.
- Go online to www.longshoreplans.ca
- Your password is longshore#1(no spaces).
- Should you require any of forms listed below, you should contact Employee Services at 604-689-7184, 4th floor, 349 Railway Street, Vancouver:
- Weekly indemnity
- Credited time (granted time)
- Vision care
- Extended health benefits (EHB)
- or you can access these forms online -- see directions above.
WORKSAFEBC TELECLAIM GUIDELINES (previously WCB)
- At some point in your work career, you may be injured on the job.
- To ensure that your claim for WorkSafeBC (previously known as WCB) benefits are processed in a timely fashion, please read the attached bulletin.
- It outlines your obligations in respect to filing your claim read bulletin
- Plus keep in mind the Granted Time REQUIREMENT for WCB
- Read what you should do if you get a Notice to Participate Letter from WorkSafeBC (WCB)
WATERFRONT INDUSTRY PENSION PLAN
- Click here for bulletin dated July 2013 - provides up to date changes in both your Pension Plan and additional benefits provided through CPP and OAS to assist you in your overall retirement planning.
UBC STUDY TO PREVENT BREAST CANCER IN SHIFT WORKERS
- Women shift workers exposed to light at night are at increased risk for breast cancer.
- You may be eligible to participate in a UBC sleep program that may help improve your quality of life.
- click here for details
ILWU Local 500 Pensioners
MEETINGS: 1st Thursday of each month (except July & August)
TIME: 10:30 am
PLACE: Maritime Labour Centre, 1880 Triumph Street, Vancouver
- Pensioners from all Locals are welcome to participate.
- Keep in touch with past brothers and sisters that you worked with and haven't seen for a long period of time.
- Renew old friendships.
- Keep up to date on the Union's activities with reports from the officers of ILWU Canada and Local 500 with periodic reports from the Union Pension and Benefits Trustees.
- Stay healthy, participate.
- The meetings last from an hour to an hour and a half and are usually very informative.
President: Mike Marino
Vice President: Len Meneghello
Secretary Treasurer: Barry Campbell
- The Local 500 Pensioners have instituted a Scholarship Program.
- These two (2) $1000 Scholarships are offered to the sons, daughters and dependents of active Members in good standing of Local 500.
- To view the scholarship policy, click here.
- Deadline to apply: September 30 of the current year.
(Applications are available in the Local 500 office).
WINNERS ANNOUNCED - The following 2 individuals were the successful recipients of this year's Pensioners Scholarships as selected at the November 20, 2013 Membership Meeting.
- Stephanie Coccia (daughter of Local 500 Member David Coccia #30202) was the winner of the "Bill Kemp Memorial Scholarship."
- Kimberley Sunder (daughter of Local 500 Member Randy Sunder#40795) was the winner of the "ILWU Pensioners Scholarship."
The next scheduled Statutory Holiday(s) is/are:
The Local 500 administrative office will be CLOSED on ALL 3 HOLIDAYS, plus will close at noon on Christmas Eve (December 24), all day Friday, December 27, and noon on New Year's Eve (December 31).
Christmas, Boxing Day Remembrance Day is/are "Recognized Holidays" in the Collective Agreement and work may be performed on this/these day(s) in accordance with the provisions of the Agreement.
Upcoming / Ongoing Events:
FOOD BANK COLLECTIONS
As part of our ongoing commitment to our community, Local 500 will continue to collect non-perishable food items (canned soup, canned fish/meats, baby food, diapers, etc.) at its monthly membership meetings. Please help out.
Local 500 Drop-In Hockey
$15 drop in fee
click here for info
Information of Interest:
FATAL ACCIDENT AT LYNN WEST (SEABOARD), MAY 19, 2010 -- KEVIN LOWES #39862
Regular work force Heavy Duty Mechanic Kevin Lowes was fatally injured when the pontoon dock he was operating a heavy lift truck on collapsed trapping the 40T under the dock.
FATAL ACCIDENT AT LYNN WEST (SEABOARD), JANUARY 13, 2009 -- CHERYL MUSCROFT #40848
While delivering bundles of pipe to trucks, Checker Cheryl Muscroft was fatally injured when the pile of pipe gave way and rolled onto her. Emergency response by everyone was excellent. Cheryl was taken to Lion's Gate Hospital where she succumbed to her injuries.
THE HARRY BRIDGES PROJECT
"There will always be a place for us somewhere, somehow, as long as we see to it that working people struggle on, fight for everything they have, everything they hope to get, for dignity, equality, democracy, to oppose war and to bring to the world a better life." (Harry Bridges 1901 - 1990)
Learn about the Harry Bridges Project
ILWU LOCAL 10 DRILL TEAM
The ILWU Local 10 Drill Team presents a different image of dockworkers at parades and other events. Members of the San Francisco Local dazzle crowds with a routine that is part Riverdance, part Marine Corps march.
Click to read more and view video.
TOMMY DOUGLAS: THE GREATEST CANADIAN
One of Tommy Douglas's most enduring pieces of oratory is the story of Mouseland.
It has inspired generations of social activists and progressive leaders alike. Get Inspired